RSS Feed

Gnucash for Android available from Google Play

Posted on Thursday, November 1, 2012 in Coding, User

It is finally here. Gnucash for Android is now available on Google Play. Android devices from Froyo (2.2) and above are supported. Grab your copy from the Play Store:

Gnucash for Android

This should make it easier for all those who had issues downloading the beta versions of app to try it out. It is signed with the same signature as the betas, so you should be able to upgrade from the release candidate without losing data.

Update 02.11.2012: There have been reports of some users losing data during upgrades from RC. I did not expect this. But just in case, please back up your data before attempting to upgrade. (I remember there was a disclaimer somewhere for the betas.)

Note: For those who are new here, it is important to note here again that the GnuCash for Android does not support reading your Gnucash for the desktop files. This is a companion app which allows you to track and export your expenses to OFX format which can be imported into GnuCash on the desktop.

This is another step on the journey that is GnuCash for Android, and I look forward to the rest of it.

So what are you waiting for? Try it out and if you like it, tell your friends. If you have issues, tell me :)

Screenshots of GnucashMobile

Share and Enjoy:
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Digg
  • Facebook

Bring on the comments

1. Guest says:

“it is important to note here again that the GnuCash for Android does not support reading your Gnucash for the desktop files.”

Sorry, was interested, but that’s a fatal mistake.

2. […] ke Android. Setelah sebelumnya muncul aplikasi unofficialnya sekarang tersedia secara officeail di Google Play Store. Sehingga membuat aplikasi ini tersedia di berbagai flatform termasuk diperangkat […]

3. Hazzl says:

Thanks for all your work. From the screenshots it seems that it doesn’t do double entry accounting. Is that planned for a future release?

4. […] can read more about GnuCash for Android at the developer’s website. If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to our RSS feed, follow us on Twitter, or "like" […]

5. antonio says:

Hey, congratulations! Good job!

Simple, but enough to store those small transactions during the day.

UI is very nice and usable. Another good points:
    – Deletion of transactions once they are exported.
    – Synchronization with Dropbox.

What I miss:
    – I can’t make work the default transaction type. It’s always debit.
    – Cash or Bank accounts for the other side of the transaction.

6. Stu says:

Loving the App so far. I use GNUcash for the desktop on linux, but since i have gotten my nexus 7 i havent been on my desktop in over a month. What i would like is a full accounting experience i get on the desktop, but on my tablet… is there a possibility we could get something comparable to the desktop experience in the future?

• Ngewi Fet says:

The desktop GnuCash has so many features that I do not think it is realistic to try to get them all on the mobile. However, the few that are possible and relevant for mobile could be attempted.

7. Callum says:

This is really awesome, thanks a lot. I’m not sure I’d want all of my accounting data on my phone, but this is exactly what I wanted. Somewhere I could track expenses and later easily get them into gnucash. I think you’ve built the perfect companion for Android and I’m personally very grateful. Now to install and play with it… :-)

8. Antonio says:

I found some additional issues in Nexus 7 (Android 4.2.1):

– The transactions are not deleted after export.
    – When using characters like (ü, ó,…) these are shown in GnuCash desktop as strange characters. I’m using GnuCash on Linux with MySQL. Maybe it is a problem of the character set of MySQL which is something like “latiniso”.

• Ngewi Fet says:

Hi Antonio,
      Thanks for the feedback. The transactions should really be deleted, so that is strange. Do you make sure to confirm the delete dialog box?
      About the characters, it is due to the way GnuCash desktop imports the OFX files. There is also some issue with CJK characters for which I am working on a fix. Hopefully that will fix it for you too.

9. Bill says:

Thanks, very helpful.
    One query, and I apologise if I have missed some documentation, on import into GNUcash, am I correct in thinking that while you can post to say a credit card account all entries “charged” to that card, the “other side” of the entry has to be input separately in the desktop version of GNUcash?

10. tivasyk says:

hello! i’m just starting to use gnucash, and android companion seems like a great idea! however i’ve ran into a problem: when importing generated ofx files into gnucash the cyryllic text gets garbled (please check the screenshot: tested on linux (crunchbang 10) with gnucash 2.4.10. sorry i’m not sure if this is gnucash or the android app problem…

• Ngewi Fet says:

Sorry about that. You’ve run into a known issue and there is already a fix for this but it is still in beta and has not yet been released to the Play store. The beta version can be found here: if you want to try it out.

• tivasyk says:

will try it out! many thanks!

• Ngewi Fet says:

I forgot to mention that you will need to go to Settings -> General and activate “OFX SGML export” (or similar) for it to work. This will cause the output OFX to be in a format which GnuCash for desktop agrees with.

• tivasyk says:

ok, gave it a try — unfortunately still get cyrillic text garbled when importing. tested with windows/gnucash 2.4.11 — the problem persists.

• Ngewi Fet says:

It seems we typed the comments at the same time :)
            See my previous comment. I will probably eventually make this Setting to default to “ON”.

• tivasyk says:

one more question… is there a (short) tutoial or some sort of help page to help sort out both exepeses entry with the gnucash for android and importing those into gnucash itself?

…because every time i try it i (definetly it’s just me not getting something right) mess things up and import to wrong accounts, expenses as credit or income as debit etc.

• Ngewi Fet says:

Unfortunately, there is no tutorial as of this moment.
          But I am curious, do the expenses import with a different sign as you created them on your phone? That may be due to how GnuCash treats expenses vs how they are commonly understood. However, please email me details at ngewif {at} so that I can check it out. Thanks

11. Zee says:

Until there is the ability to sync between (heck, even using files between) the desktop and the this app, this is not usable in any meaningful way.

Once this is supported (exporting my information from desktop to phone rather than the reverse (which to me seems like a backwards way of doing things), the application will be worth using. Until then, this is just proof of concept to me.

12. Mike says:

I’m using a Nexus 7 tablet and have a problem with adding accounts. When I try to add a new account, the parent account choice is grayed out and I can’t change it from expenses.

• Ngewi Fet says:

There is a checkbox near the dropdown which you have to enable first before you can set the parent account. On some devices it is easy to miss. Make sure you have checked that.

13. John Stewart says:

This is a great start at a functional Gnucash for android.

I’m using version 1.2.4 on a new Nexus 7 (2013). My desktop Gnucash is version 2.4.10. I’m running Ubuntu 12.04.

I have two issues with importing the OFX file. One, the imported data place a ‘check’ or ‘c’ on each imported transaction. This would be great if the transaction was from a bank or credit card statement, but when it’s merely a vacation transaction, it becomes useless and potentially destructive to a future reconcilation of the account. There may be a setting within desktop Gnucash that changes this behavior, but I can’t find it. Alternatively, if there’s a variable set within the OFX file, it might be possible to change it with a Regular Expression before importation.

The other issue is minor: when searching for a balancing transaction within the program, the accounts are strangely ordered, making it difficult to find the right one. It’s no big deal, but it sure would be nice if all of the Asset, Expense, etc accounts were alphbetized within each category.

Congrats on a great program.

14. tivasyk says:

i’ve probably found a way to use this program to quickly enter expenses “on the go” and not spend a lifetime doing it. potentially this should look like this: i only create a handful of assets accounts in the gnucash for android that i spend from: cash & several bank cards. every time i spend something i enter it under the appropriate account… at the beginning of every month i can export/import the ofx…

in practice this still causes headache, because:

1) when importing first time from an account created in gnucash for android, gnucash asks to identify the account but does not show any meaningful description, so you have to guess?

2) (this is probably gnucash issue but still) the transaction descriptions get truncated when importing to gnucash!

3) time and note fields get totally ignored during ofx import unless i am missing something here…

the first two issues are critical for me.